Monday, May 07, 2007

Coming Attractions

At the start of the year I joined Scary Cow, and indepedent film co-operative in the SF bay area. Pretty much everyone involved is interested in film making enough to sacrifice their free time for it, but hardly any of the members do this professionally. This arrangement has its ups and downs. You don't really get particularly polished products, but everyone gets a chance to contribute and you learn by doing, which is always more entertaining than watching or reading.

A little less than a month ago we had our project meeting, which is where people interested in producing a film pitch their idea and try to gather people to their banner. I was one of twenty-one other aspiring producers, and as our entire organization counts rought sixty members, competition for personnel was fierce. In the end, though, I managed to trick enough people into doing what I say to allow at least the attempt to be made.

On Friday we are holding auditions for the remaining cast spots. A few posts on Craigslist and other community boards generated a lot of replies, and I've recieved enough confirmations to where I'm feeling pretty good about finding the right people. Of course, it remains to be seen if any of these people actually do show.

The auditions aside, everything else is pretty well set. I've written the script, we have a cinematographer, some audio people (still need to determine which gear to rent though), and even crew. Not really sure how this will turn out, but I'm looking forward to shooting in the next few weeks.

No comments: