Sunday, March 29, 2009

I, Methuselah

This weekend I went to the 2009 North American VTES qualifier in Berkeley. VTES (I still call it by the original name, Jyhad) is a card game where you take on the role of an ancient vampire (a methuselah) in a bid for global, or at least table, domination.

In one sense I'm not really that into card games. I play borrowed decks, aren't up on all the rules, and am indifferent about collecting. But I do enjoy playing the games themselves, so I'll attend these bigger tournaments, even though it requires a little bit of driving and some expense.

In an unexpected turn of events, I managed to do pretty well, and have now qualified to play in the national championship. Of course, five out of eighteenish (not sure exactly) people qualified at this tournament, so it's not a particularly cruel cut. Still, that outcome was much better than I expected, and I was pleasently surprised that my luck held the whole day.

The actual championships are in Atlanta this year, so it's not like I'll be going. But I could if I wanted!

No comments: