Friday, June 04, 2004

The Ardship of Cambry

I thought I'd take a break from serious stuff to address something that's been bothering me for a while. I'm new to blogging, so with a novice's enthusiasm for the novel, I often peruse some of the other journals. Blogspot has a nifty list of recently updated sites, which I scan at my leisure, clicking on names that happen to catch my attention. Many of the blogs are written in foriegn languages, though their titles are in English. There are a subset of blogs, however, that appear to be written in a kind of degenerate English indicative of something out of Riddly Walker. When the host of words "to, too, and two" became replaced by a multipurpose numerical expression I couldn't say, but thrown in with the other shortcuts and you'll think you've got literature from the Mole People.

Now, I know what many of you are thinking. I admit it isn't really that big of a deal, and that I am probably just overly sensative to linguistic violence. On the other hand, this is the language of Shakespeare and Mark Twain. We were left with great works of literature, expositions on the nature of humanity and existence. We'll pass on 1337.

These dismal substitutions are finding their way out of the internet too. No longer is terrible English to be restricted to the inner city or the internet. At law school I heard someone respond to an amusing anecdote with "lol." Lol! Come on people, we can do better than this!

No comments: