Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Resisting the pull of G-Forces

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer. Right now I have a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4, 1GB of RAM, 120 GB hard drive, a Live Platinum sound card and a Ti4200 G-Force 4 video card. Recently my video card fan has been making disturbing wheezing noises, and I'm worried it might give out. Now, it may be possible to simply repair the fan, and I may not need a new video card. However, this fan thing could also be an opportunity in addition to a problem.

You see, at the end of summer the space expansion, Jump to Lightspeed will be coming out for Star Wars: Galaxies, the Star Wars MMORPG (Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Game). My computer currently runs SWG well enough; not great perhaps, but well enough. I have most of my graphic slides near the maximum settings, and for the most part things load quickly. Still, there are times when the graphics slows down play. I can turn down the settings, and I have before, but the game looses a lot of its appeal when stripped down to monochromatic polygons. A new video card could be just the thing I need to give my computer games a boost. Plus, I could give my current card, a little old now but still fairly respectable, to my backwards brother.

Generally speaking, I have a very loose stance on money. After all, money exists to make life easier. So, if I have it, and I don't need it, I tend to spend it. It's a philosophy that has served me well enough thus far, though in truth I've yet to shoulder the burdens of "real life." Replacing my video card on a whim seems somewhat oppulent, even for me. Still, there is that fan noise...

Anyway, if anyone reading this has any advice regarding kinds of video cards, let me know. I'm thinking of spending, if any at all, around $200. I figure I ought to be able to get something respectable for that price.

No comments: