Sunday, June 24, 2007

Take Five

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(pictured: crew person Usi Ambrosio hard at work)

So we finished shooting earlier this week. The film has been sent off to be developed and telecined, after which we officially enter post production. A little editing and then a lot of sound dubbing (because unfortunately, Super 8mm is a silent medium) and it'll be done.

Keeping in mind the danger that the novelty of the experience may, at this point, have an inappropriately large influence I nonetheless feel like I may have finally found my creative outlet in film making. I have tried writing, afflicted both canvas and paper with an array of incoherent images, and even dabbled with musical instruments. But none of these pursuits, worthy though they undoubtedly are, have required the same commitment, nor left me with the same sense of satisfaction.

I hold no delusions as to my talent or current ability. After all, rare is the hobby (or, I suppose, the practitioner) that provides mastery to the novice. What's more, movies are even more complicated to make than it might seem. My little film, with all it may disclaim any artistic or theatric merit, has been an enterprise of staggering proportions (though admittedly, my own poor organizational skills no doubt contributed to it).

Only time will tell if I am able to continue exploring film making. At this point I certainly intend to, but the circumstances of life being what they are, it isn't clear if I'll really have the opportunity. In some ways I think that realization was always in the back of my mind, and it instilled in me a bit more ambition than was perhaps prudent in an introductory exercise. Still, there is little to be lost by aiming high, especially if you don't expect to succeed no matter where your goals are.

No comments: