Saturday, July 17, 2004

Gibberish

Recently I purchased the DVD set of a Japanese drama show on ebay.  I knew the DVDs would come without English subtitles, but I bought them anyway.  First of all, I figure that we (Japan-TV) might get around to subtitling it, if I can convince a team to take it on.  But more than that, I had previously seen the first few episodes with English subs, and the rest of the series was never similarly released.  I really wanted to know how the thing ended, so I bought the DVDs.
 
I knew going into it that I wouldn't be able to understand the dialoge, but I assumed that, armed with a basic understanding of the plot, I'd be able to gleam enough from tone, facial expressions, and body language to follow around.  I haven't finished the show yet, but things have been working out well enough, considering the circumstances.  There have been a few developments that I haven't been 100% clear on, but all-in-all I feel pretty good about the experience.  I even discovered that I understood more Japanese than I thought I did.
 
Many people would find watching a show in a language they didn't understand a frustrating experience, but I'm pretty used to it.  When I was younger I used to watch Chinese shows with relatives, and they didn't have English subtitles and I don't understand Mandarin or Cantonese.  I actually had a pretty good time.  You can gleam a lot, even without understanding the words, and with some imagination you can even work out some kind of plot.
 
Anyway, if anyone gets a chance to check out Tokyo Love Story, preferably in a language they can understand, I recommend it.   

No comments: