Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Inequity of Chromosomes

I'd like to conclude my discussion on toys with a short exposition on how much it'd suck to be a girl. Now, I do not mean to imply with that statement those improper assertions of female inferiority, the maintenance of which is a disservice to both women and men, that have long plagued society. Rather, I conclude my entire premise solely on the available forms of "gender appropriate" child entertainment.

As a boy, it was my sole duty to engage in mock struggles the outcome of which would decide the fate of universes. Day in and day out it was I and my compatriots who kept Earth safe from Megatron, Mum-Ra, Dr. Doom, and Captain Planet. Especially Captain planet. That guy was up to no good. We had at our disposal guns, swords, monster-slave things, and other implements of ingenious malice. Even our buildings were cool. We had the sewer lair, Castle Greyskull, and Metroplex.

Girls, by comparison, were expected to remain within the dazzlingly insipid worlds of My Little Pony, Barbie, and Strawberry Shortcake. There the momentous issues are what color hat to wear, which flavor frosting to use, and the ever popular "what will my husband's job be?" guessing game. I suppose this monotony would be useful if we were looking to train house slaves, which was probably the intention, but as a form of entertainment these toys fall pathetically short.

Of course, I am just one man so I cannot really do anything to address this unfortunate inequity. Still, I feel it would be improper for me to mention toys and how much I enjoyed them as a child without noting how royally hosed the girls got.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree more than you know. A friend of mine and I were atcually just having this talk; girl's toys are not only boring, but cheaply made...
Our action figures have 20+ points of articulation these days; Barbie still has 5. Unless you count Bendable Barbie...which is of course so realistic.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheila said...

An interesting thought. Thanks for adding food for my thought :)

After reading your post, I wonder if grown up people aware what they've implanted to their child's brain. About 2 months ago, my 2-year-old niece got a giant kitchen set toy as a present. It seems to me people tried to 'tell' her, "There! That's your working area when you're grown up."

Do you have an idea what kind of toy that a girl should get?

By the way, I read your comment in my post. Thanks for it.

That Girl said...

lol i agree totally..
i was one of those hyperactive kids who hung around with the boys and stormed my way through the woods playing with bows and arrows..
i laughed at all my girly cousins with their little teapots and ribbons in their hair..
lol.. my mom has given up total hope on me as i am completely opposite of what a good little indian girl is supposed to be like.

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheila said...

Grafxgurl: You are lucky to live in this millenium era. Imagine if you would have lived a decade ago ... :-)

LeperColony said...

I'd actually be willing to bet that she was alive a decade ago.