Saturday, August 14, 2004

A week in review

For the last five days I've used my blog to feature Japanese actresses. Konishi Manami, Uchiyama Rina, Tokiwa Takako, Shibasaki Kou, and Hirosue Ryoko have each by turns spent a day atop my personal soapbox, lending to this corner of the internet a grace I could never evoke through literary efforts.

It was easy to secure their cooperation, what with them being just photographs, but even so I appreciate the help. I hope anyone who stumbles across this page enjoys the images, and perhaps it will entice a person or two into downloading a few dramas to watch.

I actually wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with this week-long project. Lovely though they may be, it wasn't my intent to improve the aesthetics of my blog (that just happens to be a nice ancillary). I will admit to being as much of a man as any other. Custom, culture, and biology have all conspired to create, at least in some ways, a creature of base instincts and a somewhat insufficient means of resisting them.

Even though I sneer at those brazenly consumed by no other concerns than physical attraction and carnal consumption, they are admittedly aspects of my own psyche as much as anyone else. I take care to remain reserved, indeed the unabashed appraisal of a feminine specimen fills me with equal parts discomfort and disgust, but even though I may not talk about sex, I sure do think about it. Still, the objectification of women for my own personal amusement was not my intent.

Celebrity, and indeed celebrities, have never held much appeal to me. Some people spend time and money in persistant obsession, pursuing their particular star far past the point of harmless infatuation. Even leaving aside the mentally unbalanced, I still think that celebrities are overrated. I don't really care what an actor or singer thinks about a particular political position.

It doesn't matter to me one wit whether some ditzy singer is a virgin, how many times some director has been divorced, or the newest Hollywood roadmap for middle east peace; in short, I've never found much interest in celebrities outside of their work. So, I just want it clear that I didn't spend this last week laboring towards the creation of some eerie shrine to five Japanese women.

So, why did I? To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure. Maybe I was kinda bored. It made updating the blog easy, and sometimes I go a week without something worth writing about. I got to look through lots and lots of pictures, spending a few hours with some of the most beautiful women on the small screen isn't exactly a chore. In the end, I guess I just felt like it.

That isn't really very interesting, and indeed this entire entry has been just one long, rambling, oddity. Still, there is a point to all of this. I noticed something while looking at picture after picture, something I always knew, I think, but had become so familiar with that I no longer really thought about it. Since I've had enough of writing for one day, I'll put it off 'till next time to explain.

No comments: